Bronchial asthma is a real problem of our century. Only lucky ones can get rid of asthma completely. Most people have to take drugs for a life term and avoid contact with the allergens. The goal of treatment is to achieve a control over bronchial asthma. You can’t achieve success without a correction of your lifestyle.
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in case allergic asthma cannot be overestimated. In many cases, it is more important than medication. It’s much easier to prevent the emergence of an asthma attack using an inhaler.
Briefly about Bronchial Asthma
Asthma definition: Asthma is a very serious disease of immuno-allergic origin, which develops as a result of non-infectious inflammation of the respiratory system. Bronchial asthma is characterized by chronic, periodic attacks which develop into bronchial obstruction and suffocation.
Asthma causes: asthma develops due to hypersensitivity to stimuli. Asthma can be associated with both genetic predisposition and environmental factors (including allergic factors or frequent respiratory tract infections).
Asthma symptoms: can vary from slight shortness of breath, wheezing and cough with severe shortness of breath, chest tightness and asthma attacks.
Basic Recommendations for a Healthy Lifestyle at Bronchial Asthma
- Try to avoid contact with allergens – substances (causes of asthma), which your organism is sensitive to. These may be pollen, fungi, house dust mites, animal medicines;
- treat co-diseases, in the first place – the infectious diseases of the respiratory system (eg, frequent SARS);
- start fighting against stresses, anxiety and other strong emotions. Increase resistance to stress. Also, you should not laugh for a long time – laughter can trigger a powerful asthma attack;
- discard the hard work and some sports. During an intense physical stress, a person starts breathing deeply, what is very harmful in case of bronchial asthma. Therefore, it is desirable to choose those sports where there may be frequent breaks.
Choosing a Correct Asthma Treatment Plan
Medicine has achieved a great progress in the treatment of this disease in recent years. Medications have a positive effect and allow people to control the disease and avoid severe exacerbations.The action of medications starts at the time when they enter the respiratory tract, that is, immediately after the use of a special device – an inhaler.
Nowadays there are different asthma inhalers types. One of the most convenient and effective asthma inhalers is Advair. You may also buy Canadian Pharmacy asthma inhalers online.
Organization of Housing and Asthma Regimen
- First of all, you need to clean the house or apartment from all the things which you are allergic to. Furnish your home with eco-friendly furniture made of natural wood. Make sure the windows tightly closed and had mosquito nets. Get rid of cockroaches. Eliminate feather pillows;
- get rid of the dogs, cats, parrots – perhaps they do not cause an asthma attack, but still, have a negative impact on your body. Hair of animals, their saliva, urine or feces are pretty common household allergens. Often they lead to the development of asthma;
- use synthetic fabrics such as nylon or polyester in the household. Carpets, curtains, bedspreads made of them collect less dust, they are easier to wash. You can replace the curtains with metal or plastic blinds (but first of all make sure that you do not have an allergy to plastic). Remove the wool, fur items, discard pile carpets;
- make regular wet cleaning, sweeping up dust from the farthest corners. The house dust contains mites, which cause allergic asthma reactions. Try not to keep many books in the house – the library dust is a potent allergen. Do not forget to clean the filter of the vacuum cleaner after each housecleaning;
- if someone in your family smokes – ask him not to do it in your presence. Not only smoke if harmful, but also the smell emanating from the smoker.
Cosmetics and Cleaning Agents
- The sharp smell of perfume, deodorant and shower gel may provoke an attack of asthma. Therefore, choose odorless cosmetics. Make sure that it contains less flavoring additives and chemicals;
- use hypoallergenic laundry detergents. Rinse clothes properly. Choose dishwashing agents carefully – they should not cause allergies;
- moist air is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle. Dry air is bad for the health of people with asthma. So keep the proper air humidity in the house. Normally, it should be in the range of 40-60%. You can place the container with water or hang wet towels somewhere in the house. This is especially important during the heating season.
Asthma Prevention Diet
The first task is the exclusion those foods from the diet that can trigger an asthma attack. This is called an elimination diet and selected individually for each person. The main task is to identify allergenic foods and abandon them forever.
It is known that the tendency to allergic asthma reactions is closely linked to the activity of the immune system. No wonder many people face the disease only after a viral infection. Therefore, increasing nonspecific immunity is an indispensable condition for the fight against asthma.
It is important to reduce intestinal permeability for allergens contained in foods. This is necessary to ensure that the products, mistakenly eaten by an asthmatic person, do not cause a bronchial asthma attack.
It is known, that an attack of asthma is caused by mast cell degranulation. As a result, histamine and other mediators of allergy are released. Therefore, the diet should include foods that stabilize the membrane of mast cells. This will greatly facilitate an asthma flow.
As asthma develops an inflammatory process in bronchi, so it’s better to refuse products that are irritating or contribute to the development of inflammation. These are sharp, acidic, fatty, salty foods.
The asthma diet should help reduce the spasm of smooth muscles of the bronchial tree – this will ease the state of a person.
Products Recommended for Patients with asthma
- Cabbage, green beans, dill, parsley and other green vegetables – they relieve bronchial spasm, making breathing easier;
- Pears, plums, cherries, blackcurrants are the best sources of vitamins and minerals. They improve the immune system and strengthen the body;
- Apples contain pectin. They can be eaten raw or roasted. It is desirable not to peel them – peel is a most useful substance;
- Kefir, yogurt, cottage cheese, hard unsalted cheese normalize the microflora of the small intestine, reducing the permeability of the intestinal mucosa. Due to this, allergens cannot enter the bloodstream. Therefore, these products are advised in case of bronchial asthma;
- Whole grains, sesame, lentils, brown rice provide important micro- and macronutrients, normalize metabolism and are good for the intestines;
- Foods rich in vitamin C (citrus, black currant) fight free radicals, which are harmful to patients with bronchial asthma.